Mamma mia, it’s AUGUST already! What the heck?! And did you know that this week is PRIDE WEEK in Vancouver? It’s going to be a fun little weekend.
So I looked up what the current LGBT abbreviation is and…it’s long: LGBTQAI2S+
Transgender (doesn’t identify as their birth sex)
Queer (sexual & gender minorities who are not heterosexual or cisgender)
Asexual (no sexual association)
Intersex (born with aspects of both male and female genitalia, hormones, and/or chromosomes)
2-Spirited (Indigenous people who have both male and female spirits)
+ (and more)
[Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this]
For the sake of being concise in this email, I will use the slightly abridged LGBTQ+.
So you don’t personally identify as LGBTQ+, what can you celebrate and be proud of during Pride?
- Take PRIDE in your own open-mindedness and acceptance that all humans are equal and deserve love and respect.
- Take PRIDE in supporting charitable organizations that support our LGBTQ+ buds.
- Take PRIDE in the fact that we live in a country that allows equal opportunity and rights for all people, no matter your gender or orientation.
- Take PRIDE in your workplace that embraces all people because diversity is GORGEOUS, honey!
- Take PRIDE in all the skills and talents our LGBTQ+ friends offer the world that you may otherwise have never had the opportunity to experience.
- Take PRIDE in your ability to support your LGBTQ+ friends, family, and co-workers who may be facing discrimination. Be proud to have their backs.
- Take PRIDE in your everyday actions and words that make the world a more inclusive place for all people.
- Be PROUD of and inspired by the many LGBTQ+ people who overcame adversity just to be able to be their true selves.
So show your PRIDE tomorrow! And all weekend and ALWAYS! 🙂